Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Vest, vest, vest.

By popular demand is my very simple and so useful vest simili-tutorial. I am never sure how to call it and looking thru the web in search of similar designs it is obvious that it has a multitude of names...You can search for days!
What ever you want to call it, it is the simplest thing to do and often doesn't even require sewing. That last bit will depend on the fabric used. For the two displayed here, I didn't hem the edges but with the wool one I just sew a couple straight stitch lines all around for looks. 

Step one, make sure you have enough fabric because it does require quite a bit if you want it to go down below your butt and also have a bit of a collar that rolls and acts as a scarf. Best way to cut is to fold the fabric and fold again, then cut. A bit like when you do paper snowflakes. Step 2, you can measure the space between your shoulders ( or have someone do that for you) or use a existing vest and measure that. 

Basically I like to have the arm holes 2/3 of the way. It really is interchangeable tho meaning the vest can be worn both ways with the 1/3 up around the neckline or down for a shorter back. Step 3, also you can be creative an cut a rounder look or a more asymmetrical one. It all works well and can be adjusted as you go. 
You will notice that for the second vest I added a zipper which is great to keep warm on cold days and is pretty funky even worn inside out. Sort of an office sleeping bag. Except for the sleeping part as I don't think my bosses would like that very much! 

Have fun and write me a comment to let me know how it worked out for you.




No comments: